Shared hosting refers to a type of web hosting in which multiple users share resources and services. Shared hosting service can be used to host a blog, personal website, a small business website, or a medium corporate website.
Due to server resource limitations, hosting services place a limit on the number of files. If you are using shared hosting, you can only use a certain amount of space.
With a VPS, this limit may be higher than with shared hosting, and with dedicated server hosting, you have complete control over the resources. This well-known provider of affordable mysql hosting server is best for small & mid-sized businesses.
In this article, I’ll explain what is the file limit on shared hosting? And what they are, and who the best shared hosting providers are.
The File Limit on Shared Hosting:
The maximum number of files per directory is determined by your shared hosting plan. The web hosting provider will set a default maximum file upload size when you sign up. This limit is typically set at 2MB to 500MB.
A small file upload size limit can sometimes prevent you from using the media uploader or installing larger WordPress plugins and themes.
Every web host offers different hosting prices, features, and storage space. There are many great web hosting providers available, such as DomainRacer. Take advantages of top cheapest vps server hosting uk provider with kvm at lowest price companies and enjoy your business.
DomainRacer is the best shared hosting providers in the world. It is a leading brand and delivers the highest quality of service at the very lowest cost to its users.
Let’s discuss in detail the file sizes and storage limits in a hosting account.
- Your hosting account is only permitted to store 500,000 Windows files and folders or 250,000 inodes (Linux). Limit the number of files/inodes in each directory to 1,024 for the best website performance.
- Even after this soft limit is reached, you will still be able to upload files. The fewer files you can have in a directory, the longer your filenames must be. We list the best cost-effective hosting packages for kvm managed vps server plans in USA to get unlimited resources & ddos protection.
- For instance, file names with 1 to 16 characters count as 1 inode, those with 17 to 32 characters as 2, those with 33 to 48 characters as 3, and so on.
- These restrictions stop certain accounts from using excessive server resources and delaying page loads. If customers go over these limits, we’ll notify them and we might move files to maintain server performance.
- When trying to add or create more files in a directory and getting the message “Out of Disk Space,” that directory has reached its capacity. Remove cache and thumbnail directories manually or with a cron task to avoid this problem.
How to Increase File Upload Limits on Hosting?
Do you know how to raise the File Upload Limits on any web hosting service? Let’s look at how to increase the maximum upload size in your hosting account.
Method 1 – Contact Your Web Hosting Provider
The majority of website owners will find this limit to be more than adequate. However, there will be times when you will need to increase this limit in order to avoid upload errors.
One of the simplest ways to increase the file upload size in hosting is to contact your web hosting provider. If you select the DomainRacer shared hosting plan, you get full support 24/7 with phone, live chat, email, WhatsApp, and a ticket system.
On DomainRacer web hosting, they offer a number of different plans for different types of web hosting, ranging from shared hosting, VPS hosting, reseller hosting, and dedicated servers.
Method 2- Increase the File Upload Size with a WordPress Plugin
If you have a WordPress website, then it is very easy to increase file upload limits on hosting.
Using the WP Increase Upload File size plugin is another way to raise the maximum file upload limit. Installing and activating the plugin is the first thing you need to do.
The file limit on shared hosting also depends on the filesystem and hardware capabilities. Depending on the web hosting package, your file limit may vary.
The majority of web hosting companies typically offer a server configuration option to increase the maximum upload file size for a hosting account.
If you still can’t find the answer, check your web hosting company’s knowledge base or get in touch with their support team. If you choose a web hosting provider like DomainRacer, they provide 24/7 instant support (via any mode), knowledge base articles, and YouTube videos.
I hope this article helped to explain what the file limit on shared hosting is and how to increase the file upload limits on shared hosting.